Author Notes: Thanks to boulangere I had some tuna packed in oil waiting in my pantry! Using a lemon mascarpone cream to tie together a few elements, this pastry came about. It is good for a nice supper, or a warm lunch, or cut up for appetizers. The pastries are easier to eat with a fork and knife, as the creamy filling is a little runny, but very good! The anchovy paste gives a light touch of salt that blends nicely with all the other ingredients. - Bevi
Makes 8 generous portions
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, rolled out slightly to form 12" x 12" squares
- 1 can Ortiz tuna, packed in oil. Reserve the oil.
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese mixed well with the juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 generous handfuls arugula, well washed and well dried
- 2 dozen or more roasted cherry tomatoes, or the equivalent of another variety roasted tomato
- oil from the tuna
- 1/2 cup Grana Padano or other hard Italian cheese, shaved or grated
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Follow the instructions for each pastry sheet: With an offset spatula, spread a teaspoon of anchovy paste on the pastry sheet, leaving a one and a half inch margin around the edges of the sheet. Then, spread 1/4 cup of the mascarpone mixture over the anchovy paste. Scatter a generous handful of arugula atop the sheet.
- Open the can of tuna and drain out the oil; save it in a small bowl. Chunk the tuna and use half a can per pastry sheet. Scatter it over the arugula, and then place at least a dozen roasted tomatoes over the sheet.
- Fold each corner of the pastry sheet to the middle to form an "envelope". Brush the tuna oil over the top of the pastry, and then sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over the pastry. Place a few extra tomatoes in the center of the pastry. Make some knife slits on the pastry.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 17 minutes, or until the pastries are puffed and golden. Allow the pastries to cool slightly so the flavors will be enhanced, and so you save your tongue from a burning. Serve with a light salad.