If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love to open the fridge and see what I can put together without having to go to the store. When I saw the contest for rice, I thought of what I had on hand already. Easy, I had just made sweet potatoes, had brown rice left over from the weekend and tons of spices in the cupboard. I love Asian flavors and decided to take it that direction. These can be made with any kind of rice or quinoa, smaller to add to a soup or larger as a main part of a meal. I added fresh chives to add color but really any herb would be nice herej. Also, I like my rice with a bit of a crunch, so I undercook the rice a bit and mixed with the sweet potato, it adds a nice texture juxtaposition. - 30something
Serves 25 rice patties
- 11/2 cup Brown Rice, cooked
- 11/4 cup Sweet Potato, cooked and mashed
- 1 Shallot, minced and browned
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour or Regular APF
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 cup Chives, Chopped
- Sesame oil for frying or other oil with high burning point
- 2 cups Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- In a bowl, combine the rice, potato, shallot, egg and tamari. In another bowl, combine the pepper, salt, Chinese 5 spice and flour. Add the dry to the wet ingredients and fold in half the chives. In a frying pan, add the sesame oil or other oil to the pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, drop leveled tablespoons of mixture onto pan with enough space between to flip each patty. Heat until brown on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Once done, set on paper towels to allow any excess grease to be absorbed. While cooling, mix the sour cream, chives, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside. To serve, arrange patties on plate with either the sauce on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.