If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: note: i happened to have an excessive amount of home-made chicken broth i had made the previous week, which was fabulous in this dish. if you don't have homemade broth on hand, use any type of broth you prefer. - aubrey | drum beets
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6-8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchini, or other small summer squash
- 5 ounces soft goat cheese, chevre
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- start by heating your broth in a saucepan. bring to a simmer and turn heat off to low.
- cut washed zucchini in half lengthwise, and slice into quarter-inch thick half moons. in a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. add zucchini and garlic and saute until zucchini is fully cooked. add more oil if necessary. once cooked, remove from heat and set zucchini aside in a small bowl.
- thinly slice shallots and pick the thyme away from the stems. using the same saute pan, heat an additional 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and saute shallots with the fresh thyme until the shallots translucent.
- add uncooked rice, and fry for 2 minutes, stirring frequently - coating the rice with oil. add more oil if needed to keep rice from burning.
- deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup white wine. add a ladle full of hot broth to the rice and stir constantly until it is almost fully absorbed. continue adding a ladle of broth at a time, allowing the rice to absorb most of the moisture before adding more fluid.
- continue cooking and stirring for about 20-30 minutes until desired consistency. the rice should not be overcooked or overly mushy, but the starches from the rice should release into the broth creating a creamy, saucy texture.
- once the rice is fully cooked, stir in crumbled goat cheese and the pre-cooked zucchini. salt and pepper to taste. serve with a sprinkling of grated parmesan.