If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Today: Dinner party mains that are worthy of being your main squeeze.
Never underestimate the power of a good meal—it's fulfilling, both physically and emotionally. And sharing that one good—no, great—dish is one of the best ways to gather old friends, meet new people, and show a little love to those around you. Remember that old adage? Caring is sharing, especially when it comes to roast chicken and pan-fried giant white beans.
The best dinner party mains can be hard to come by: They have to be easy enough to make, yet a little wow-worthy. Which is why we asked the guests at our recent Genius Recipes dinners in San Francisco and New York City to share what their favorite dinner party dish is, whether it's one they've made themselves or have been served, and here's what they said:
When pigs fly:
- Bacon, egg, and cheese dumplings
- Braised pork butt with apples and Calvados
- Bacon-wrapped meatloaf (and also bacon-wrapped anything)
Nice to meat you:
- Roast chicken (bonus: pour the chicken's juices over cooked farro and serve alonside the bird)
- Rack of lamb
- Chicken pot pie
- Fried chicken with cheddar biscuits
- Short ribs
- Chicken and waffles
Let's cele(ry)brate—with vegetables:
- Kale salad (we're partial to this version)
- Carrot Avocado Salad
- Fried green tomatoes with Green Goddess Dressing for dipping
- Roasted leeks
- Pan-fried giant white beans
- Le Grand Aioli (boiled fish and vegetables with aioli)
- Mac and cheese with crispy kale on top
- Caprese salad
Photos by Nanette Wong, Bobbi Lin, James Ransom, and Mark Weinberg