The Breakfast-Dessert Continuum is an inarguable, if arbitrary, part of life: Muffins, croissants, and rolls are breakfast; pies, cookies, and cupcakes are dessert. Plain and simple.
But the breakfast-dessert overlords gave us a gift: the loaf. A creation that falls magically in between a cake and a breakfast pastry, the loaf is a perfectly acceptable breakfast, and with a little bit of frosting, it's a swoon-worthy dessert.
This Brown Butter and Butternut Loaf from fiveandspice feels hearty and wintry, thanks to butternut squash, nutty brown butter, and earthy nutmeg. Leave it plain for breakfast or—and we highly recommend this—douse it in a brown butter frosting. When your whole house smells rich with the cozy brown butter smell emanating from your oven, who cares what time of day it is?
For the butternut loaf:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups puréed roasted butternut squash
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (preferrably freshly ground)
For the brown butter icing.
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What your favorite breakfast-meets-dessert recipe? Tell us in the comments below!