First of all, if you find yourself in the position of simply having too much butter to know what to do with—or maybe, like this community member over on the Hotline, you're about to drive a U-Haul across the country and need to use your stash up fast—lucky you! We're firm believers that there's no such thing as too much butter, especially since it stays so well in the freezer.
But should you indeed want or need to blow through a couple of pounds of butter in a short period of time, we've got some ideas (first among them: Send a box or two our way!):
- Make ghee, which is both extremely versatile and stores well at room temperature.
- Brown a batch of it and drizzle it over sliced ripe tomatoes or a handful or raspberries, like Amanda Hesser does.
- Or make the gooiest brown-butter blondies this world has ever seen. (Very good, important road trip food. Trust us.)
- Make rich little butter tarts, which are, as Nancy writes on the Hotline, "essentially butter and sugar in pastry."
- Make as many pie crusts you can. Stash them in the freezer in single-crust portions, or give them to your adoring friends.
- Same goes for batches of biscuits.
- A batch or two of salted butter semifreddo will disappear quickly from the freezer—so no need to worry about it taking up space.
- Turn it into caramels. (Whether you coat them in chocolate is up to you.)
- Bake big batches of buttery pound cake.
How would you cook through a butter stockpile? Share some ideas in the comments!