One of the best parts of Julia Turshen is that she finds the good in everything.
Her new book, Small Victories, is all about the little milestones you pass as you go through a recipe. With her Buttermilk & Pimentón Fried Chicken, there's more than one opportunity to pat your back—starting with the fact that you can fry chicken without greasing your whole kitchen. Watch to see the small victories in Julia's fried chicken—and you'll find recipe right after!
- 1/4 cup (85g) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons hot pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk or ¾ cup (180ml) whole milk mixed with 1/4 cup (60ml) plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3 ½-pound (1.6kg) chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 wings, 2 legs, 2 thighs, and 2 breasts cut in half across the bone, backbone discarded (or saved for another use, like stock)
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Neutral oil, such as canola, grapeseed, or safflower, for frying
For more small victories, Julia's book, out in September, is full of 'em!