When your to-do list gets overwhelming (figure out life; buy a car; move cities; change jobs), you need a few things to swiftly cross off (brush teeth, take a 10-minute walk, call a friend).
In that spirit, here are 5 easy things you can do today—yes, today today—to clear a bit of Thanksgiving prep off your plate. (None involve turning on the oven.) They come from our Thanksgiving checklist email series, which you can subscribe to right here.
1. You have a menu. (No? Our Thanksgiving Menu Genie is waiting.) Organize your shopping list by when to get what, by where to go on each excursion, and—bonus points—by area of each market.
Shop the Story
2. Prioritize what might run out (like canned pumpkin, fresh cranberries, or jarred chestnuts) and get those today.
3. Buy the wine now, too. And add on an extra bottle—for yourself while you plan and for insurance. It won't go bad.
4. Assign someone to say grace or give thanks. (Or, if that someone is you, spend a few minutes thinking about what you'll say.)
5. Any ends of bread that are too short and squat to turn into toast? Start a bag in the freezer of your scraps—these will become stuffing later (no "oven-staling" necessary).