If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Last week, our social team posted a picture of a pie crust with a lattice that resembled a pair of fishnets, and, with it, posed a question to our followers: What Instagram food trends are you sick of seeing? (We asked the same on Twitter.)
A fair question. It seems every day brings another gastronomic fad, mislabeled as a “trend” (see this Twitter thread for a cogent explanation of the difference) that chokes Instagram feeds. And a real pastime of food and lifestyle media—us included—is stoking those flames of obsession, feeding the frenzy. Think of any food that’d prompt a food writer like me to lazily declare that it’s “too pretty to eat.”
We've collected nearly 400 responses across Instagram and Twitter, and I spent last night combing through them. It didn’t take very long to see some clear patterns emerging: a shared, profound distaste for avocado toast. A dislike of smoothie bowls. Frankenfood fatigue. Aversion towards any photos of food that are over-posed, over-stylized, and difficult to imagine an actual human eating. Here’s what we found, typos massaged.
The Repeat Offenders
- Avocado, especially on toast (including a vote for “half a whole uncut avocado on the toast”)
- Smoothie bowls
- Unicorn and rainbow foods
- Mermaid food
- Gluten-free foods (hm)
- Drip cakes
- Milkshakes “topped with entire candy aisle”
- Anything in a mason jar that doesn’t need to be a mason jar (see: salads in mason jars)
- Cloud eggs
- Kale, generally
- “Sexy pie” (hm)
- Cauliflower Rice
- “Pixelated fruit” (fruit that’s been sliced meticulously into many small cubes)
- “Outrageous desserts that are actually 6 dessert items on top of a fish-shaped cone”
- “Giant hamburgers that no one could possibly eat, and Bloody Mary’s with said hamburger as garnish”
- Edible flowers
- “Cramming multiple processed foods together, like crescent roll pepperoni lasagna pizza”
- Spiralized zucchini, beets, butternut squash
- “Disgusting tomato dishes people try to pass off as shakshuka”
- Coconut oil
- Soup shooters
- “Popping egg yolks in a very sexual way”
- Avocado roses
- Mug cakes
- Poké (hm)
- Turmeric “bastardized into foods that should never come near it” (I agree!)
- Videos of cookies or cakes or burrata being cut open or broken apart and exploding with gooey centers
- Towering layer cakes
- Styling food with inedible items, like stems and leaves
- “The image of just a hand holding an ice cream”
- Activated charcoal ice cream
Anyway, joke’s on us, because we’ve written about most of these.
If you’ve got a food trend fatigue you don’t see represented on this list, make your voice heard. Express displeasure in the comments.