I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: Lunch deserves dessert, too. It’s that little bit of something sweet that we all—okay, I—crave around 2 pm to power through the rest of the day.
The best lunch desserts are travel-ready and easy to surreptitiously eat while on a conference call (or won’t sprinkle your keyboard with crumbs), which is why I’m a big fan of packing brownies in my lunch bag. And for the best brownie of all? Combine it with another lunchtime classic: PB&J.
“The tart, sweet jam contrasts with the earthy peanut and complements the sticky chocolate,” they write. “Be careful not to overcook the outside—under is better than overdone with this one.”
To ensure the right texture, keep an eye on the oven and pull them out once they have a soft, even jiggly, center. Then let the brownies cool to room temperature so they set enough to slice. The recipe makes 12 brownies—more than enough for a lunch dessert every day for you and a lucky coworker.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups light muscovado sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 1/2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (thinner is better for this)
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 ounces dark chocolate
- 6 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 3 ounces raspberries
- 2 tablespoons broken peanuts
Do you pack a lunch dessert? How do you feel about this PB&J-brownie combo? Share thoughts in the comments!