It probably happens as often to me as it does to you: serious chocolate craving. I’m not talking about the kind that’s satisfied by a measly square of chocolate or a handful of chocolate chips. I’m talking about the kind of desperate hankering that longs for a rich, gooey, fudgy, warm chocolate brownie. The problem is, when a craving like this hits, baking seems like too much work. I just want a low-effort, freshly baked confection that won’t leave me with a sink full of dishes. Is that too much to ask?
This skillet brownie is the the answer. Not only is it incredibly rich and perfectly gooey; it’s simple, as well. Dangerously simple.
How to Make It
- Start by melting some butter in an oven-proof pan, like a cast-iron skillet.
- Once the butter is melted, remove from the heat and add in some chocolate. This recipe calls for 3 1/2 ounces of chocolate, which is just a whole chocolate bar. (No measuring! I told you this was simple.) Once the chocolate has melted, let it cool slightly.
- The chocolate mixture should be cool to the touch before adding in the sugar and whisking in the eggs. Once the wet ingredients are combined, one at a time, fold in the dry ingredients until a batter forms.
- Now place into the oven and wait patiently (but not that patiently), knowing that in just 15 minutes you’ll be enjoying warm, chocolatey perfection.
To serve, I like to place a spoonful of brownie into a little dish and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, flip on an episode of Sex and the City, and dive in. If I’m entertaining friends, I scoop the ice cream directly into the still-warm skillet, letting the ice cream melt all over the molten chocolate. Everyone grabs a spoon and digs in. Sometimes those aforementioned friends are named Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samatha—and I find myself sitting on the couch, alone but perfectly content, eating my brownie for
four one straight from the pan.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (about the size of 1 chocolate bar)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 scoops vanilla ice cream, for serving
Here, have another
What's your favorite way of satisfying those chocolate cravings? Let us know in the comments below.