Jenny is in perpetual search for easy, weeknight recipes to attempt to feed her family. When they balk, she just eats more.
Today: The 7 reasons you should make these cookies, right now.
Seven reasons why you should make Almond Thumbprint Cookies with Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt tonight.
1. You asked your hostess what you can bring tonight, assuming she would say “just your smile” so you could settle into a marathon of House of Cards but to your mild horror she sent back a panicked email looking for dessert.
2. You have left over almond meal you’ve been dying to get rid of.
3. You have no eggs.
4. A friend has recently brought you homemade jam, caramel that is so addictive you might not make it into work for a few weeks or some other confection in search of a thumbprint that you will substitute for the chocolate.
5. You make it as written; chocolate + salt always = thank you.
6. They last all week.
7. You have decided to stay home and stare out the window and mind-will your neighbor to mow his lawn. This will require a snack.
¾ cup almond meal
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature + 2 tablespoons (for chocolate filling)
finely grated zest from 1 small lemon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons golden syrup or light corn syrup
sea salt, to taste
A New Way to Dinner, co-authored by Food52's founders Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs, is an indispensable playbook for stress-free meal-planning (hint: cook foundational dishes on the weekend and mix and match ‘em through the week).Order now