Often when we get home on a weeknight, all we want to eat is whatever is most convenient. We're tired from the work day, anticipating whatever tomorrow will bring, and it's all too easy to simply not bother. But the truth is, no matter if it's a Tuesday or a Saturday, dinner in the summer is something to savor. This meal does just that with grilled fish tacos, stuffed with creamy avocado and bright lime and cilantro, plus a smoky and sweet salsa to put on top (or on the side, with chips, of course). The weather is warm, and it's light out until late. Take advantage and pull out your grill.
Click through on the recipe photos or titles to see (and save and print) the full recipes, but we've also written you a handy grocery list and game plan below.
2 medium onions 1 green pepper 2 ripe avocados 1 small bunch of cilantro 2 limes 1 1/2 pounds firm-fleshed white fish fillets (tilapia, bass, etc.) 12 flour tortillas 10 large tomatillos 1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple (the sweetened kind) 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, plus 1 teaspoon adobo
We know you've got a well-stocked pantry and refrigerator so you'll have olive oil, salt, pepper, and chile flakes. If not, add those to the list.
1. Caramelize your onions for the tacos. Set aside.
2. As those are sautéing, light your grill. Grill up the tomatillos and onions for the salsa first.
3. Go back inside and prepare the rest of the salsa. If it sits for a bit after you're finished, the flavors will have a chance to mingle together and become even more delicious.
4. Grill your fish, and warm your tortillas.
5. Assemble your tacos. Dig into the salsa. Enjoy with a margarita in hand, and be happy it's summer.
Photos by James Ransom and Jennifer Causey
Join The Sandwich Universe co-hosts (and longtime BFFs) Molly Baz and Declan Bond as they dive deep into beloved, iconic sandwiches.