Hash browns. My daughter asked if I would make the shredded kind instead of my regular home fries and the results were not pretty - gummy, gray, very unappetizing. Can anyone in this magic pickle recommend a good method for great hash browns, the "shredded" kind?

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 7 years ago

beyondcelery

I don't have a recipe exactly, but mine seem to work if when I soak raw shredded potato in hot water for about 5-10min, then drain, pat dry, and fry in butter on a medium-high griddle/frying pan. Unfortunately, I can't give you a precise measurements or times.

Assuming that you are using a box grater to shred them yourself I would look to using an oil with a fairly high smoke point like canola or grapeseed oil. Cook em hot and cook em fast. In which case you want to keep them away from water.

1. Use a starchy potato, like a russet, not a waxy potato, like a Yukon gold.

2. On a box grater using the side with the big holes, grate the potatoes.

3. Next, you'll have to dry the grated potatoes really really well, best done with paper towels.

4. Get an oiled cast iron skillet really hot and add the potatoes. Let them brown, don't move them around a lot. When nice and brown underneath, season the top with s/p, then you can flip the whole thing, ideally like a big pancake, or big chunks is good too.

5. Good luck!!

Mr_Vittles

Shred on a box grater, the largest will work best. Then get a nonstick pan and heat over medium high heat with about 3 tablespoons of canola oil, NO olive oil. When the oil gets smoking add the shredded potatoes and spread them in an even layer. Allow to cook for about four minutes. Lift a side gently with a spatula and check for a golden brown color. Once achieved, flip like an omelet and allow the other side to cook for another four minutes. Flip out of the pan and sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the still hot hash browns.

This is also called a rosti (rosh-tee) a Swiss food that is basically the same thing as hash browns. Oh yes it is good!

Kayb

Also helps if the potatos are partially cooked -- baked is preferable. Then grate, and yes, fry in hot oil.

anyone

Listen to pierino, larkin, vittles the others answers don't make sense.

Sadassa_Ulna

Thanks everyone, I guess my first mistake was to leave the shreds wet - I was surprised at how much liquid those potatoes gave off. I do not have a box grater (I can hear gasps as I write that). I used my food processor with the grating disc. If anyone is reading this I'd love to know if this size shred is viable for good hash browns. Thanks!

The large disc should work fine. I use it regularly for grating celery root.

jwolfsthal

soakign them in cold water is my approach. gets out the starch. remember to pat dry - or use a salad spinner.

come to think of it, I think the grater blade on the cuisinart would work better, as it creates less moisture than a box grater, at least with other veggies it does.

I've also heard of soaking grated taters in very cold water, (maybe ice water?) then drying like mad.

Sadassa_Ulna

Thank you everyone! I will try again tonight. GO FOODPICKLE!

Sadassa_Ulna

So, just to follow up, I made a vast improvement in my hash brown capabilities, thanks to everyone's suggestions. I soaked the shredded potatoes in icy water (after running them through the processor's grating blade). The water turned very pink (?) so I changed out the water a couple of times. Then I dried them by spinning them in the salad spinner. I used a combo of canola oil and butter, and I used three cast iron skillets because I don't have a large one. I think I wimped out on the heat setting, afraid I was going to burn them. Next time I will go hotter, I think they will be perfecto!