🔕 🔔

Sweet potato-tortilla hash. Saw it on a menu, intrigued, have sweet potatoes and fresh corn tortillas, but... where to go from there? Onions? Other additions? I'm kind of picturing my grandmother's diced potatoes fried in bacon fat with onion, salt and plenty of black pepper, which was my favorite as a kid.

asked by jlabarge almost 7 years ago

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Ingredient-wise, I'd imagine also some chopped jalapenos and a little fresh garlic.

Method-wise, I'd try adding the tortillas in the style that we do 'migas', and extremely popular Tex-Mex breakfast egg dish. Fry up the tortillas like you would for tortilla chips (pieces not too large). In the last few minutes of cooking, toss them in and stir through.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

In a large (12"), preferably cast iron pan, melt 3 tbsp unsalted butter, take a medium onion, medium diced, and saute it over med high heat, 5 minutes, add medium diced/ large hole grated sweet potato, saute until sweet potato looks a little caramelized, 8-10 minutes. Add tortillas cut into squares, 1 in. by 1 in., fry until they look crispy. Add 1 minced garlic clove. Saute for 30 sec and slide into a 350 deg F oven for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are softened. Optionally, when finished cooking, pop it out and sprinkle over some cheddar or if you have it Queso Oaxaca, shredded, and slide it back into the oven to melt the cheese. Sprinkle with plenty of kosher salt and pepper just before serving. Serve with hot sauce or salsa. Easily adapted to a tortilla, by adding four or five beaten eggs and allowing them to just set before sliding in the oven.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I always like a little diced ham thrown in with a sweet potato hash. Good stuff.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Sounds very good, Mr_Vittles. A great thing to play with.