🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Shrimp Pad Thai

393b2b53 d837 4b00 b53a 903631a35c21  5114668571 3bd186aa3d z

I have a question about the ingredient "tamarind concentrate" on the recipe "Shrimp Pad Thai" from mtlabor.. What is it? Also what is fish sauce and where would you get it?

asked by AnnieHynes almost 6 years ago

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Tamarind concentrate is a reduced paste made from tamarind fruit. It is sweet, dark and very sticky; I think of it as somewhat raisin- or dried fig- like in flavor. Fish sauce is made from fermented small fish with lots of added salt. It is very thin in consistency and used in small quantities for flavor. It smells weird fright rom the bottle but it really adds great flavor to dishes. I see fish sauce in the Asian food section of my local grocery stores, but I think tamarind concentrate is a little harder to find. You can get it at Whole Foods and Indian grocery stores. Both are worth seeking out if you are making Pad Thai.