🔕 🔔

Baking soda/baking powder

During the holidays, I like to prepackage the dry ingredients for my brownie, cookie, and cake recipes but I never add baking powder or baking soda because I'm worried about it going stale or losing its potency mixed in with everything else. Should I be or can I go right ahead and add them?

asked by x3linda almost 6 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Package them in a plastic baggie to add to the mix.

If the other stuff is dry it should keep fine for a few months mixed with the mix.
But Be SURE to use to fresh baking powder.
It all depends on the quantifies you're making and how long it's stored and storage conditions.

You'll be fine as long, as Sam1148 recommends, that they be kept DRY. Baking soda is activated (begins creating CO2) in the presence of an acid, typically liquid. One of the acids in baking powder is activated in the presence of liquid, the other in the presence of heat. They'll also both degrade in the presence of both light and air, so it would probably be a good idea to use them up pretty quickly.