🔕 🔔

What's the best nut to sub in for pine nuts in arugula pesto?

asked by Crinnig over 6 years ago

Lexmccall

I always use walnuts if I'm out of pine nuts (or too cheap to buy them), but I've had some great pistachio pestos, too. I'm not sure there's a "best" answer here, or a wrong answer, for that matter...

Crinnig

Thanks so much! I've heard this before and am relieved to have it confirmed.

I agree with Lexmccall walnuts are a very good sub for pine nuts.

Me too - walnuts are wonderful. Love the flavor they add.

bigpan

Yes, my former Italian relatives would sub in toasted walnut. I suspect toasted pecan pieces would also work. Did you know pesto freezes very well? I make big batches and freeze in small ziploc bags ... The secret is leave the cheese out and put in fresh when you have thawed the pesto mix that you froze.

Pombachi

Or you can freeze the pesto in Ice Trays, and then put the cubed pesto into the ziploc bag so you have measured amounts of pesto ready to defrost!

Rebecca,Rodriguez

Pumpkin seeds aka pepitas!!

Coco espresso

Shelled hemp seeds make a great substitute. And they are so good for you!

cookbookchick

almonds are good in pesto

Panfusine

1st choice: walnuts, 2nd Pistachio, 3 toasted pumpkin seeds..

For the flavor of arugula, I'd sub toasted walnuts. The toasted part is important.

teemee

I was in Indonesia for a couple of months and used the local cashews as a substitute. It worked very well!

teemee