🔕 🔔

Why isn't my tofu ever firm?

It seems no matter what I do my "extra firm" tofu is still not very firm. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, and why I can't get it into a firmer steak like texture? Any suggestions?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

Do you drain it for long enough? Put it between two plates with a weight on top for about an hour. If that doesn't solve the problem, try a different brand.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Going for 'steak like texture' is a problem, you're not going to get that with Tofu.
While draining and pressing will firm it up..it will not be steak like.

In fact try not to replicate steak and use veggies for what they are they. "tempheh" or "Age (aahgee) Tofu" (which is a tougher pre-fried tofu sold semi dry--in Asian stores in cooler section). Those might be the texture your'e looking for...but go with veggies---and if a more 'meaty' texture is desired use portobello mushrooms.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I do what lloreen advises. I place the tofu between two plates at least a day before I plan to use it. I also wrap the tofu in a dish towel and change it 2x3 times. The towel absorbs the water. For a weight I use a six pack of beer or a kitchen brick. I also finding baking tofu, with no sauces, gives a good texture.