🔕 🔔

Any tips for tri-tip steak?

I'm still learning how to cook steak properly. I watched the flank steak video, I'll pre-salt it, bring it close to room temperature, sear it in a cast iron skillet, and pop it in the oven to finish. Is there anything else I should do specially for tri-tip steak? I'm making this for dinner tonight for a couple of friends, so I'd really like to get it right this time. Usually I overcook steak, but I think I've finally cured myself of that habit.

asked by beyondcelery over 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

We love tri-tip because it is so tender and treat it like beef tenderloin. Here is an interesting article from Mark Bittman about it http://www.nytimes.com...

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Thanks, SKK! It turned out pretty good with the searing and oven method. I didn't try that sauce in the article, but it sure sounds delicious. I'll probably give that a go next time, when I have more time to cook (we were playing a game while I was cooking--rather a lot of back-and-forth).

I grew up on Tri Tip and I will tell you.. it is a great cut of meat (bottom cut of the sirloin actually) all you need to do is be sure not to over cook it... it may appear not fully cooked but that is how you want it. Medium is the most done you want to go with it. I cook my rare.. very pink. one trick is NEVER cut into it to SEE if it's done.... this will release juices and dry out the roast..... and once taken off the fire... let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting...this alows the juices to redistribute through the meat... simple and best way to season is coat it very heavily with Garlic powder (and I mean A LOT!) add Garlic salt and a lot of pepper... make sure entire roast is completely covered with seasonings... grill over med high coals for about 30-40 minutes :)

Tri Tip is the signature meal of the Central Coast of California, where I happen to live. I think on the East Coast they refer to it as triangle steak. I just cooked 25 pounds of it about a week ago. I used an "internal brine", a trick I learned from cooking prime rib. The brine is simple, just salt dissolved in water. The tool you will need is a biggish injector which you can find in cooks' catalogs like Chefs. Inject the brine a day before you are going to cook them. I'll disagree politely with cooking fanatic about the garlic powder and garlic salt but I do agree about not cutting the meat while it's cooking because it will indeed give up a lot of juice. If you can capture that juice in a pan, well you can make a good sauce with it.

You always cook tri tip over real wood and red oak is prefered. Turn it only once during cooking and test it with an instant read meat thermometer. Mine comes off when it approaches 130F. The basic rub is just salt and pepper, but if I want to get exotic I'll include some Spanish pimenton. The brine allows you to get a crispy outside but a moist interior. I did have a marriage proposal the last time I cooked it this way.

That sounds amazing, Pierino! I'll see about trying that method next time I have one. Is there a way to do it just by soaking, instead of having to buy an injector? I don't have the budget to go out and buy a new tool every time I have a new recipe to try (unfortunately!).

Syronai, you could try it that way anyway and see how it turns out. But honestly I'm a bit skeptical. The injectors aren't expensive, maybe $15 or $20. And it's not a single use tool. If you are going to cook a standing rib roast for the holidays you can use the same technique. Or a pork loin. Mine come's from someplace called Mr. Bar-B-Q, website www.mrbarbq.com