🔕 🔔

Looking for Food52 Advice

And introducing myself. :) Hi I am Laura and I write The Spiced Life. Anyway, I'm a little stuck on the originality question, especially as it pertains to baked goods. For example, on my blog right now are meringue cookies and biscotti, both of which use a BASE recipe that I really haven't altered (how could I? Alice Medrich is a genius), but the flavor profiles of which are completely mine--but only took a few ingredients to accomplish. I added white chocolate and Andes peppermint chips to the chocolate biscotti to create a peppermint chocolate biscotti; for the meringues I created a mint chocolate chip (2 additional ingredients) and an espresso (also 2 additional ingredients). Do these qualify as original (adapted) recipes?

Thanks, Laura

asked by The Spiced Life almost 6 years ago

The editors will obviously have to weigh in on this, but from my perspective, what you've done is original enough for you to post it here, provided that you give credit where due for the base recipe. There really are so few truly "new" recipes. Nearly every recipe that's ever been published is someone's interpretation of something else, or an adaptation of the kind you describe. Those biscotti sound so (!!) good, by the way. I hope you publish the recipe here!! I just learned about the Andes peppermint chips this week, by the way. My family (sisters, mother, etc.) have been using Andes mint candies in cookies and brownies for decades. Love the opportunities provided by the chips!! ;o)

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

this might also help (scroll down about halfway):

http://www.food52.com/home...

I actually did not find that helpful because a fair amount of the recipe was changed--amount of sugar, eggs, i.e., things that form the BASE of the recipe. Whereas in my case I did not alter those things. Still hoping more people weigh in.... (But thanks, vvvanessa)

AntoniaJames I should have thanked you above also, both your answers have been very helpful. OK, when I have time (ha! too many holiday parties is my biggest problem now) I will add that biscotti for for sure. I am IN LOVE with them. Heck I'll add my espresso mandelbrot too. :D

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

The only other suggestion I would add to AJ's is to search F52's website for similar recipes before posting. Meringues & Biscotti are old-fashioned cookies, so there are lots of variations on the website. It's validating to know that Alice didn't create these recipes from scratch either! Welcome to Food52.