asking for a chopping block for Christmas

What is your favorite chopping block?

asked by Stephanie G almost 7 years ago

Summer of Eggplant

I have been researching this as mine is getting stinky. A friend recently ordered on from ProTeak.com and it's very nice and their prices seem reasonable. That is where I plan to get mine. The one I currently have is from Williams-Sonoma and it has also served me well for many, many years.

I am sure there are so many good ones out there, I have a Boos and have had it for many years. Its very good.

This chopping block from Simon Pearce is my favorite because it's good-looking, a workhorse, and light but stable. I do my chopping either on the kitchen table or counter-top and it's easy to move around and the small feet underneath keep it in place. It also nice enough to use as a cheese board. Easy to clean and I've had it for oer 5 years and looks brand new still.
http://www.simonpearce.com/product/chopping+block.do?search=basic&keyword=wood+block&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Homemadecornbread

Boos. The best.

Stephanie G

Thanks for the info. Now my follow to that is - round or rectangular? Does thickness matter? I am trying to decide between a Boos 24 inch with 1 1/2 thickness or a round 18 inch with 3 inch thickness.

I have the 24x 1 1/2 inch thick but the round sounds interesting its thicker. I find that with the rectangular I feel like I have more work surface, it may be an illusion but thats the way it feels to me.

bigpan

Wood, wood, wood. Two inches thick is nice. If you don't need a retail name, get a carpenter to custom make one from a slab of hard woos, like maple or ash. Round edges would be my preference. Treat with mineral oil.
The problem with a good one is that it will last the rest of your life. I had mine made by a carpenter about 25 years ago - when I see new ones in a store I sigh and walk away smiling at the money I saved over the years.