🔕 🔔

asking for a chopping block for Christmas

What is your favorite chopping block?

asked by Stephanie G over 5 years ago

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I have been researching this as mine is getting stinky. A friend recently ordered on from ProTeak.com and it's very nice and their prices seem reasonable. That is where I plan to get mine. The one I currently have is from Williams-Sonoma and it has also served me well for many, many years.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I am sure there are so many good ones out there, I have a Boos and have had it for many years. Its very good.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

This chopping block from Simon Pearce is my favorite because it's good-looking, a workhorse, and light but stable. I do my chopping either on the kitchen table or counter-top and it's easy to move around and the small feet underneath keep it in place. It also nice enough to use as a cheese board. Easy to clean and I've had it for oer 5 years and looks brand new still.
http://www.simonpearce...

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

Boos. The best.

Thanks for the info. Now my follow to that is - round or rectangular? Does thickness matter? I am trying to decide between a Boos 24 inch with 1 1/2 thickness or a round 18 inch with 3 inch thickness.

I have the 24x 1 1/2 inch thick but the round sounds interesting its thicker. I find that with the rectangular I feel like I have more work surface, it may be an illusion but thats the way it feels to me.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Wood, wood, wood. Two inches thick is nice. If you don't need a retail name, get a carpenter to custom make one from a slab of hard woos, like maple or ash. Round edges would be my preference. Treat with mineral oil.
The problem with a good one is that it will last the rest of your life. I had mine made by a carpenter about 25 years ago - when I see new ones in a store I sigh and walk away smiling at the money I saved over the years.