🔕 🔔

Will meringues last longer if kept in the fridge? I want to make them for Christmas this weekend but the recipe says they will keep for two d

asked by Heather,Peck about 6 years ago

I would worry they will lose their crispness in the fridge

B00ec2bf 040d 4907 bdf8 9bc77a9e767c  blackbottoms 2

Put them in an air tight container. No refrigeration necessary.

Every meringue I've ever made--and I made some a week ago--have last a VERY long time in a room temp airtight container as long as they were properly crisp in the first place. And I agree that refrigeration might make them sticky.

B69629aa 5e0e 481d 8b22 486380fe9436  img 20180103 091233 972

What is the meringue for? Refrigeration will definitely add moisture to your meringue, which you don't want.
If it's for a pavlova and your meringue is crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, I'd make it no more than a few days in advance. If these are the kind of meringues that are really crispy, though, you could for sure make them a week in advance and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.