swiss meringue in advance?

I am making shortbread cookies with lemon curd on top and then swiss meringue on top of that. kind of like a lemon meringue pie on a cookie. I wanted to make all the components beforehand and then assemble them when I am ready to serve. Can I make the swiss meringue in advance put it in a piping bag and leave it in the fridge for a few hours until ready to assemble? Will it get hard?
I would just assemble them all together in advance but I am nervous about the cookie getting soggy from the curd.

Bombay Chow-Party
Bombay Chow-Party March 23, 2012

I have done that with Swiss meringue buttercream. Depending on how long the gap is and the temperature where you are, you could leave it out or store it in the fridge. If its just a few hours and it's not too warm where you are, I would say outside is a better option. Alternately store it in the fridge but remember to take it out early enough for the butter to soften and the buttercream to become pipe-able again..

Shalini
Shalini March 23, 2012

I've done the same with swiss meringue buttercream and even frozen and thawed it and used it in advance. You can always whip it back into shape but it should be fine. The lemon curd probably would make the crust soggy in advance. Your lemon meringue cookies are a great idea!

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere March 23, 2012

Are you making Swiss meringue or Swiss meringue buttercream? If buttercream, yes, definitely you can make it in advance. If meringue, the closer to serving time that you can make it the better. It will deflate a bit, so be sure to re-whip it before finishing off your cookies. And the cookies sound divine!

singing_baker
singing_baker March 23, 2012

It is swiss meringue not buttercream I will make it closer to serving time thanks for the answers!