🔕 🔔

Okay I am definitely going to make Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto for Thanksgiving at my In-laws. Here is the question: what part(s) can I make ahead of time? I assume the pesto is easy enough to bring already made. Do you think I can peel and slice the squash at home also--just leaving the roasting for later?

asked by madeinmb over 7 years ago

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

I would say yes, you can prep the squash ahead of time. I would keep it covered in a bowl, and clingfilm wrapped

Yes, I often prep squash ahead of time (put in a ziploc). Truth be told, I think you could even roast the squash ahead of time, but better fresh, no doubt.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

I think you have the right idea. The squash can be prepped and if you choose to roast it, it will freeze well in a ziploc bag with the air removed. The pesto can also be made ahead and stored in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Also add a little oil to the top of the pesto to keep air from touching the pesto, which would turn it faster.

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

You can definitely make the pesto ahead of time. I've used it up to a few days after making it. I've also prepped the squash a few hours ahead of time (cut it, seasoned it, and laid it on the baking sheet) so all I had to do was pop it in the oven when I was ready. PS - So happy to hear you are making this for Thanksgiving. I hope you enjoy it.