🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Hot Spiced Drunken Apple Cider

7627469c c75b 4a06 a203 fd2ab309c1fb  2015 1020 apple cider with honey and gewurztraminer white wine james ransom 031

I have a question about the ingredient "1 vanilla bean split lengthwise" on the recipe "Hot Spiced Drunken Apple Cider " from Cordelia.
If I can't get a vanilla bean, can I use vanilla extract? If so, how much?

asked by kristina.j.walton almost 6 years ago

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I think you could. This is a hot, alcoholic beverage. I think it won't contain the vanilla seeds, so the look will be altered a bit. I think the big difference is that heating the vanilla bead seeds & pod lends more flavor, since the beverage is heated and served. The pod has more contact with the mixture and will lend more flavor to the mix.

Extract can be tricky. Make sure you are using pure extract and add it toward the end of the recipe, so it doesn't cook off.