What is "mixed spice "? Recipes I've found on the net have different variations . What is the most basic recipe for this ? Can I use pumpkin

Or apple spice instead ?

asked by Cherry about 4 years ago

It depends what you are making. Are you sure it just says mixed spice?

I just had a thought. Are you sure that when you scroll down there isn't a separate recipe for the "spice mix"? That is often how it's done for marinades, sauces and spice rubs or mixes.

Cherry

Yes, it says mixed spice . No , recipe for it given underneath . When I searched the net , some recipes include mace, some cloves, etc . With varying amounts depending on the recipe . Am confused .... :-(

anne

If you're talking about "mixed spice" used in traditional English baking (think Hot Cross Buns) then pumpkin pie spice is probably the closest to it you'll get in the States.

I just googled "mixed spice". It pulls up quite specific recipes from the UK.

Cherry

I also got those . But , different sources give different components and different measurements . Anyway, thank you for your answers . :-)

cookbookchick

I believe "mixed spice" is an actual product in the UK. As Anne mentioned, "pumpkin pie spice" may be the closest to it in the US. But there is one brand of "mixed spice" available on Amazon. Read the associated comments.

anne

Like "pumpkin pie spice" here, mixed spice is a product readily available labled as such in the UK (and to a lesser extent in former British colonies like here in Canada). Different brands will have variations in exactly what spices and what proportions they contain. It's like a "secret sauce" of traditional British baking. Everyone has their favourites.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris