What is "mixed spice "? Recipes I've found on the net have different variations . What is the most basic recipe for this ? Can I use pumpkin

Or apple spice instead ?

Susan W July 27, 2014

It depends what you are making. Are you sure it just says mixed spice?

Susan W July 27, 2014

I just had a thought. Are you sure that when you scroll down there isn't a separate recipe for the "spice mix"? That is often how it's done for marinades, sauces and spice rubs or mixes.

Cherry
Cherry July 27, 2014

Yes, it says mixed spice . No , recipe for it given underneath . When I searched the net , some recipes include mace, some cloves, etc . With varying amounts depending on the recipe . Am confused .... :-(

anne
anne July 27, 2014

If you're talking about "mixed spice" used in traditional English baking (think Hot Cross Buns) then pumpkin pie spice is probably the closest to it you'll get in the States.

Voted the Best Reply!

anne
anne July 27, 2014

If you want to make your own. Here's a typical English "mixed spice." 1 Tbs ground allspice
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1 Tbs ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground mace
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground Ginger

Susan W July 27, 2014

I just googled "mixed spice". It pulls up quite specific recipes from the UK.

Cherry
Cherry July 28, 2014

I also got those . But , different sources give different components and different measurements . Anyway, thank you for your answers . :-)

cookbookchick
cookbookchick July 28, 2014

I believe "mixed spice" is an actual product in the UK. As Anne mentioned, "pumpkin pie spice" may be the closest to it in the US. But there is one brand of "mixed spice" available on Amazon. Read the associated comments.

anne
anne July 28, 2014

Like "pumpkin pie spice" here, mixed spice is a product readily available labled as such in the UK (and to a lesser extent in former British colonies like here in Canada). Different brands will have variations in exactly what spices and what proportions they contain. It's like a "secret sauce" of traditional British baking. Everyone has their favourites.