Can apples be sliced and prepped with sugar and spices the night before and stored in the fridge or will the filling get too soupy overnight?

Apple pie question

asked by Somia almost 3 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

I would actually be more concerned about browning and sogging of the actual fruit. I might focus on the other parts of pie you can make ahead, like the crusts. Or, make the whole thing fresh and freeze it in advance of baking. Here's a post for reference: https://food52.com/blog...

CookOnTheFly

You would actually be better off cooking down the apples if you are planning on using this for pie. Check the King Arthur Flour website for details on how to do this.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

If you do want to prep the apples ahead of time, I'd recommend straining the juices before adding the fruit to the pie. Reduce the juices over low heat in a small saucepan until they're syrupy, then pour over the fruit. It'll concentrate the flavor of the juice and make a soggy bottom less likely.