Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Happy Accident Minestrone

54034b1a 0dd2 47c4 b163 b5b4cb923bde  005

I have a question about the ingredient "overcooked kidney beans" on the recipe "Happy Accident Minestrone" from aargersi.

asked by mrsjburma about 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Oh that aargersi! She is such a riot! She says in her headnote that she wanted to use fresh beans and accidentally overcooked them by both soaking them and cooking them in a pressure cooker. (I would assume that meant they were the consistency of mush.) She also says that you can overcook your canned beans--I think that means you want them mushy so they act as a thickener.

But here's the thing--you could probably just mush up a can of beans and it would be fine.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

You are correct Dr Babs! I cooked those poor beans to death in my pressure cooker which made them perfect for thickening soup ... mashing canned beans will work just fine.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.