🔕 🔔

How do I keep my leftover brown sugar from turning into a brown sugar brick?

asked by ameulensteen over 5 years ago

I don't know the answer to that, however I have found using a cheese grater is a good way to defeat that brick and not waste the brown sugar!

TAL

I put a whole walnut in the shell in my bag! Works great for me. You can also buy these terra cotta pieces ( often in the shape of bears or flowers) from stores like Sur La Table that work, too!

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I triple bag it, careful that its sealed well with no air in the bags. If I do that it stays soft for a long time. I fold the bag the sugar is in over squeeze out the air, place it in a ziplock bag, sqeeze out the air and seal it, then place it in another ziplock bag and seal. Thats the only way I have found to keep it soft and fresh. Overkill, maybe but my brown sugar keeps well. Hope this helps.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Seal it well and store in the freezer. Stays fresh for a long time.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Or if you don't want to buy the expensive clay pieces at Sur La Table, and you have access to a kiln, you can use a fired, unglazed piece of pottery. I made one for my mom years ago when I took a pottery class in school. She still uses it and it's still working!

B00ec2bf 040d 4907 bdf8 9bc77a9e767c  blackbottoms 2

I agree with amysara. Seal it and freeze.

41d1bf62 06b4 4146 b461 3df1a31058a7  wine

mine keeps just fine in a double ziploc in the fridge.

470a7ada 521d 4b9f a37c c2319269ee8b  kirsten gourmet 2014

I have long used the terra cotta pieces (I soak them in water overnight first), but the mouth of my new storage jar is too small. A friend suggested covering the exposed top surface with a double layer of paper towels (it should be touching as much as possible) and that seems to be doing the trick!