A question about a recipe: Crispy Delicata Rings with Currant, Fennel & Apple Relish

What would you think of substituting plain brandy for the Calvados? Or would it be better to just omit it? I'm planning on making this for Christmas. Thanks!

Greenstuff December 20, 2011
And thanks pamelalee, for asking the question and reminding me of this great recipe. We have some delicatas from a friend's garden, and I've just added this to the holiday line up.

ChefJune December 20, 2011
Or, if you needed to make it alcohol-free, you could sub apple cider vinegar.

TheWimpyVegetarian December 20, 2011
Hi! We just got home from Atlanta last night and am now catching on email - sorry for the delay! Thanks SKK and Greenstuff for stepping in. Yes, brandy will work great. If you have a little apple cider hanging around, I'd add a swig of it to bring up the apple flavor, or apple juice as SKK wisely suggests!! I hope you enjoy it. Happy Holidays everyone.

Greenstuff December 20, 2011
I'd also go with the brandy.

SKK December 19, 2011
Here is a great article on Calvados http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/dining/calvados-a-taste-of-apples-and-fall-the-pour.html Has a wonderful history and tastes of apple.

I have substituted brand in this recipe because I was too busy to run to the liquor store. I did add a little pure apple juice.

I wouldn't recommend leaving out the 1 tbsp. of alcohol - it will add depth.

ChezSuzanne will be checking in on this, I am sure, and give her brilliant, definitive recommendations.

I do love this recipe!