A question about a recipe: Crispy Delicata Rings -- I can't find delicata squash

Is there a substitute?

• Posted by: Avec
  • November 23, 2011

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 23, 2011

You could use acorn or butternut!

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian November 23, 2011

Most winter squash have a pretty thick skin, with a few exceptions: delicata is one. Another one is Carnival. Both acorn and butternut will work great with this recipe, but you might find the skin too thick to eat. Here's some additional information on winter squash alternatives: http://missvickie.com/howto/veggies/wintersquashtypes.htm

meganvt01
meganvt01 November 23, 2011

I'd use acorn and peel it. Butternut seems a little sweeter than acorn and delicata isn't particularly sweet.

Avec
Avec November 23, 2011

I ended up with the acorn. Should I cut a bit thicker slices if I'm not peeling it? Many thanks from a novice cook :)

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian November 23, 2011

I like to work with the shape of food as it's presented naturally, so I would consider cutting it in half, scooping out the seeds and slice it in slices like a cantaloupe and going from there with the recipe. You could consider adding some dried fruit like raisins and dried apricots all cut up too to the relish too. I'd love to hear how it goes for you.