IT'S TOMATO WEEK ON FOOD52! CELEBRATE ACCORDINGLY »
🔕 🔔

cooklynveg calls for a "good, sturdy bread" and specifies a "gluten free flax seed bread by glutino." Was that the bread tested and so yummily photographed for the Welsh Rarebit with Spinach recipe?

"Firm white bread" or "country bread" is called for in some of the recipes in "The Essential NY Times Cook Book." I know this directive often means to avoid sourdough and to stay away from whippy white bread (but you will occasionally find a loaf of Wonder hanging out next to the jar of Skippy in the pantry), but exactly what is "firm white bread" and "country bread"? (I'm looking directly at you, Ms. Hesser and Ms. Stubbs.)

I've been using French bread baked in-store and packaged in paper of perforated plastic bags instead of poly bags. What are the alternatives? I'd love it if all you cooks on food52 would tell me what you use (and why) when a recipe calls for "firm white bread" or "country bread."

asked by betteirene almost 6 years ago
5dc9f113 1ac0 4b05 b36f a244f4ca4ac0  photo 19

I know it's not as fancy as bakery bread, but if a recipe calls for country bread- I get Arnold Country White. The Arnold line is my go-to for sandwich bread, too. (Seven Grain)

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I like Arnold Multi-Grain breads as well, but I also find that Pepperidge Farm makes an excellent firm white bread.

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

I grew up using Pepperidge farm for stuffing but for a "sturdy" bread, I often buy a hard crusted loaf of "farm" bread which tends to be a slightly sour, crisp crusted, chewy bread (at least here in Indiana it is). :) I also sometimes make a noknead bread for this purpose . . .

Country bread to me says a big, crusty loaf that comes from a baker. Not a supermarket, not a factory. An honest to god baker...

A good, meat inside, probably using an unbleached flour, its a loaf with some heft, some presence. An identity. I've lived in many different places, so end up finding something different all the time, but regardless of where it comes from, that loaf needs to have a sense that someone actually made it.