🔕 🔔

Sugar keeps seizing up - never had this happen before. Ruined 6 cups! Tried without & with water methods. Help!

8cdef0db cf6c 45b6 932f 52ac4f1ecf99  brittle 1

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Pine Nut Brittle with Rosemary" from Ms. T. It says:

"Place the sugar in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until sugar begins to melt. Lower the heat to medium-high and keep stirring just until the sugar is melted. Stop stirring and watch for it to turn a medium caramel color. About 10 minutes total."

asked by cookbookchick almost 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Hmm.This is a pretty standard method for making caramel -- not sure what's going on! Maybe try it with no stirring at all -- just swirl the pot from time to time.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Me neither-- I have never had any trouble doing this many times before. i am giving up for now and moving on to another recipe rather than risk more sugar!

What a bummer! Hope you'll try it some other time -- it really is delicious.

I will, when I am back home with my gas stove. I think part of the problem might be that I am using electric burners. Meantime, I'll use the ingredients to make Martha Stewart's Pine-Nut Cookies with Rosemary, a stellar recipe if you haven't tried it. Thanks, Merrill! Here's wishing you all the best for the holidays and the New Year with your new family!

Thank you, and same to you!