🔕 🔔

What should Else should I put in my paella? Vegetables?

Skipping the shellfish, just chicken.

asked by CristinaP over 5 years ago

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Paella can have many different styles and ingredients. For chicken I'd probably add strips of different colored bell peppers, and maybe even some artichoke hearts.

A3c15d9e afa8 497b bd45 60acf1721805  hpim0734

In addition to peppers, green peas and or lima beans aka broad beans are also traditional. I don't consider snails to be a shellfish so at least myself, I'd reach for a can of helix snails. Be generous with the saffron threads and the pimenton.

Cc7773c3 d4df 4dfa a3aa c23ed433d8a7  lilla.portrait

I like peas, cut up green beans, and/or fresh-cooked artichoke hearts.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

In Spain I have never had two the same. Paella usually features the meat of area Brit seafood or mountain meats. The most popular is a combination. I put in chicken thighs, chopped chorizo, clams, prawns etc. As for the veg, I just put in onion and peas like in mid Spain coastal. Yes you can put in sliced peppers but I would consider a nice salad with veg (julienned carrot, peppers, etc.) and keep the paella close to the Spanish version. Saffron is expensive but a definite requirement. Paella is a dish where the name of the cooking utensil and dish itself have the same name!

I put peas, bell peppers and sausage along with my chicken (and shellfish).

Peppers and chorizo... The chorizo will boost the smoked paprika flavour, and the orange fat that comes out will help along the saffron too!