🔕 🔔

Good afternoon - I am about to freeze leftover butternut squash gnocchi dough..what do you think?

asked by KitchenKim about 7 years ago

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Why not? I'd give it a go.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I would make it into the gnocchi shapes, place them on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze them. Once frozen I'd portion them into freezer bags for longer term storage. I've done this with sweet potato gnocchi, and it's worked beautifully. You just boil them straight from the freezer.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

I agree that you should roll them and cut them before freezing. Also, freeze them on a flat surface separately, or else they will clump together and you will have a big roll of dough again.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Uncooked gnocchi will freeze well on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle a little flour so they don't stick. Don't bunch them up. When frozen store in ziplok if u don't have a fancy shrink wrap thingy. Keeps a couple months I think.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I have successfully frozen them - vaccuum sealed ....

Yes, freeze on a tray so they don't stick, then vacuum seal them. The Ziploc sous vide bags are a good alternative to buying a vacuum machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson...

2ea0cc55 eeea 466e 8ddf f513c52d6047  111

Not a problem. One of our visiting chefs (I work for W.S.) talked to a class about how making the gnocchi ahead and sticking them in the freezer is a great time saver. Same for ravioli.

8446617e 2a44 48d6 bb85 2f1dc3feb000  n768884774 851343 4507

Thanks to everyone who responded! Although, I didn't read the responses until after I rolled the dough up in a log, covered in saren wrap and then in a freezer bag. Since I didn't create the gnocchi ahead of time, can I thaw it out, and then create the gnocchi?

BTW - The butternut squash gnocchi that I did make was delicious, especially served in the brown butter & sage!