🔕 🔔

Do sunchokes need to be peeled?

I see recipes where they are peeled and some where they are not - is it similar to a potato, a matter of taste? I am typically a peel eater but don't want an unpleasant surprise!!!

asked almost 6 years ago

The peels aren't unpleasant tasting, but can be kind of tough on older sunchokes. I tend to half heartedly peel the ones that look like they might be tough, and leave most of the rest.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Nope. I s rub them with a brush remove dirt and that is enough. I am generally anti-peeling when it comes to most veggies. Usually, that's where most of the nutrients (and flavor) are.