What's a good alternative for kumquats which would be roasted next to a pork shoulder?

Cloves and mustard are the main spice components.

• Posted by: carey
  • December 28, 2011

boulangere December 28, 2011

Maybe a combination of orange, lemon, and lime, quartered.

carey
carey December 28, 2011

Thanks!

Ophelia
Ophelia December 28, 2011

small sour tangerines cut in half maybe? or just orange peel if you're not planning on eating it. Lemons cut into thinish slices and a little marmalade?
It really depends on whether the liquid from the kumquats is important. Are the kumquats used whole or cut? and are they used in a sauce to be eaten with the pork or are they discarded after cooking?

carey
carey December 28, 2011

Thanks! Instructions are to serve the kumquats with the pan juices, roasted and carmalized... suppose the key here is the citrus, dunno how important the skin component is, that was the worry.

carey
carey December 28, 2011

Oh and the kumquats are quartered.

everblessed
everblessed December 28, 2011

Happily kumquats are in season right now. They have a super thin skin which makes them quite edible without the bitter pith taste of other citrus fruits. Maybe peeled and diced orange segments or tangerine/clementine segments (whole because they're so small) would be the best substitutes. Sounds like a fantastic recipe!

WeLike2Cook
WeLike2Cook December 28, 2011

I believe the idea is to have an acidic ingredient to cut the fatty flavors of the pork. If no citrus is available (or preferred), you could roast the pork separately and then serve with a fresh tomato or even mango salsa.