What's a good alternative for kumquats which would be roasted next to a pork shoulder?

Cloves and mustard are the main spice components.

asked by carey almost 7 years ago

Maybe a combination of orange, lemon, and lime, quartered.

carey

Thanks!

Ophelia

small sour tangerines cut in half maybe? or just orange peel if you're not planning on eating it. Lemons cut into thinish slices and a little marmalade?
It really depends on whether the liquid from the kumquats is important. Are the kumquats used whole or cut? and are they used in a sauce to be eaten with the pork or are they discarded after cooking?

carey

Thanks! Instructions are to serve the kumquats with the pan juices, roasted and carmalized... suppose the key here is the citrus, dunno how important the skin component is, that was the worry.

carey

Oh and the kumquats are quartered.

everblessed

Happily kumquats are in season right now. They have a super thin skin which makes them quite edible without the bitter pith taste of other citrus fruits. Maybe peeled and diced orange segments or tangerine/clementine segments (whole because they're so small) would be the best substitutes. Sounds like a fantastic recipe!

WeLike2Cook

I believe the idea is to have an acidic ingredient to cut the fatty flavors of the pork. If no citrus is available (or preferred), you could roast the pork separately and then serve with a fresh tomato or even mango salsa.