🔕 🔔

What is the difference between a prawn and a shrimp?

asked by Minor Diner almost 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Prawns are larger, you get fewer in number per pound, and subsequently priced higher per unit. Also, much as prawns and shrimp are similar in taste, prawns are considered more of a delicacy because of their size.
I copied this from a website with information on prawns and shrimp. They are different creatures with a similar taste.

As Sdebrango noted they are slightly different animals and size is only one component. In the cooking world the shrimp are designated by weight with terms like U10, U20 (meaning under ten per pound etc). Where I live I can buy big, live, local spot prawns (if you want to mess with them, heads and all). And then you get into things like langoustines and so on. The shrimp world is rather crowded.