Prepping Mashed Potatoes

I'm prepping for some mashed potatoes tonight. Can i cut up the potatoes, put them in the pot with water and let them sit a couple hours before cooking them? Don't want them to absorb too much water. Thanks!

asked by Emilyb almost 7 years ago

ChrisBird

They should be fine. I typically drain the water and add fresh and salt before cooking though. When coked, drain and return to heat to dry before ricing them.

Emilyb

Thanks! You guys rock!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

The best way I have found is to cook the potatoes whole, not cut. it takeas a bit longer to boil them, but the skin helps keep them from water logging.