Scallop safety

Today I bought some fresh scallops. I want to wait to make them until Monday night. Will they stay fresh that long or is it not safe?

asked by skittle over 6 years ago

I think you'll be fine. You brought them home and refrigerated then right away, right?

bigpan

Yes will be okay. Rinse before cooking. A quick sauté in butter will do it.

I"d bag them watertight in ziplocks..and put them in a bowl with ice and keep refreshing the ice tomorrow and tonight, you don't how long they've been sitting on ice at the store before being sold as 'fresh'. Unless you have a really good market that just got them today and they weren't previously frozen and thawed on the ice yesterday.

skittle

Oh yes, they are refrigerated currently. I got them at a really good market and I do know they weren't frozen.
I really appreciate the answer everyone!

Skittle, your last remark was going to be my question, that being "are you sure they are fresh?" One thing that drives me nuts is when restaurants try to sell frozen scallops as "diver scallops." The latter term means that they are fresh that morning. I badger restaurant servers and cooks on this a lot and I get lame answers like "they're fresh frozen". What the f**k does that mean? My retort almost always is that if they were really fresh scallops (say, in Phoenix) you wouldn't be able to sell them at that price.