🔕 🔔

Dutch process or not?

Making cake for my husband . Recipe does no specify which type of cocoa powder. I have both. , which should I use?

asked by laurel'skitchen over 5 years ago

If recipe does not specify and it has leavening in it (baking powder or soda), I would assume natural. Is there a picture of the cake? Is it very dark?

3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

I would probably use natural cocoa powder for guaranteed good flavor. Dutch processed cocoa sometimes results in a darker colored baked good but it doesn't always taste better than natural cocoa (and sometimes tastes metallic)! Valrhona makes an excellent natural cocoa that tastes great and is very dark when baked. Good luck!

281ae33b 7151 464a af77 f6d6444c9c7d  img 20151007 213502

I agree with RachelIS. My cocoas of choice are either Green&Blacks or Cocoa Camino natural cocoa powders.
You can really taste the difference in the quality of the cocoa you use.