substitute for chicen broth.

a lot of casserole dishes call for canned chicken or beef broth, or cream of broccoli etc. I sometimes make my own and put into icecube trays, but freezer is small. Also I put a jar of baby carrots (the kind that has no yuk in it, just "carrots, water". into chicken soup as a subtitute. It works well. I do not totally trust the chicken broth boxes that advertise as MSG free. MSG, same as hydrogenated vegetable protein. Also I am allergice to Pineapple, papaya.It is the enzyme in those fruits that I am allergic to. Any other ideas?

hardlikearmour January 5, 2012

You could get some dried porcini mushrooms to keep on hand, and use them with some onion, celery, bay, etc... to make a quickish broth - potentially while you're prepping your other ingredients. Also when you make your own chicken broth, reduce it down as much as you can before freezing it, so each ice cube really packs a punch.

SKK January 5, 2012

This is a recipe for a very potent vegetable boullion that does not take up a lot of freezer space. I always keep it on hand, especially when cooking for my vegetarian friends. You only use a tsp. per cup of water, unless you want more flavor. Can also mix the ingredients. For example, cilantro is not my favorite so I add more parsley. http://www.101cookbooks...

SKK January 5, 2012

Forgot to add, regarding the vegetable boullion, is it does not freeze sold because of the salt content. Therefore no defrosting necessary and it can be kept in one container that you just take from.

ChefJune January 5, 2012

When canned cream soups are called for, you can make your own veloute or bechamel. Tastes better, in any case!

StinaP
StinaP January 5, 2012

I use hot water and either soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce plus a spice mix called "Janes Crazy Mixed up Salt". Its a mix of seasonings but salt, pepper, garlic, and celery seasoning would work great too.

jaxcat
jaxcat January 5, 2012

I just use vegetable broth. I make as if there was sch I ken in it only skip the bird, double the veggies.

jaxcat
jaxcat January 5, 2012

Ok. iPhone words. That was supposed to say chicken.

hrosdail
hrosdail January 5, 2012

I use better than bullion all the time! I never use canned chicken broth anymore. It is the best substitute ever!