🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Boozy Date Night Clams and Capellini

3fa5aa08 b3e8 42ec 9034 723791098940  img 6004 1

I have a question about the recipe "Boozy Date Night Clams and Capellini" from gingerroot. By stalks do you mean the stems coming out of the root? if I can't find the pepper can I subtstitute Thai garlic chili sauce?

asked by barrheadcat almost 6 years ago

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I wouldn't use garlic chili sauce just because it's a very distinct flavor. I think that the purpose of the chili here is just a sort of straightforward heat, so I would just look for any little hot chili peppers that you see at the store, maybe ask the person in charge of the produce dept what is the best stand-in chili they have! As for the fennel stalks, you're right! Hope this help!

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

Hi barrheadcat, I agree with MirandaR, Thai garlic chili sauce might change the flavor of the dish. A fresh serrano chile would be a good substitute, keeping in mind that bird chiles are really quite small and depending on your heat tolerance maybe you would not want to use the whole serrano. Dried red pepper flakes to taste would also work in a pinch. And yes, for the fennel stalks, I mean the long parts coming out of the bulb. I'd choose the most tender ones, and then remove the fronds. Hope you enjoy this.