How do you care for a clay pot?

I just bought a clay pot made in a small village in Baja California using traditional pit firing. It has a beautiful Raku-like finish, but is unglazed. I was told I could use it in the oven or directly on the gas burner. I would like to take good care of it because the potter is in her 80s and one of the last in the area to use traditional techniques. How should I care for it?

asked by lloreen almost 7 years ago

I think the answer is here -- http://www.food52.com/hotline...
You might try contacting Pierino, who seems to know these things! I have a Roemertopf (commercially made clay pot), which is used by soaking bottom and top, putting in a cold oven set to a rather high temperature. Maybe that's relevant too.

bigpan

I used to use a Roemertopf years ago and simply soaked and washed out with water - no soap. It worked for years and great results. But, they do not bounce off hardwood floors and remain in one piece. I would use it more in the oven than stove top so you can control the startup temp better.