🔕 🔔

I want to invest in a good pot to make bolognaise sauce. What should I look for? I have been using my chasseur pot and it sticks. Is it the r

I would like to buy a bigger pot anyway do don't mind buying a new one.

asked by rackincuba over 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

By "chasseur" do you mean an enameled cast iron pot? Is the enamel in good shape? When you say your sauce sticks, do you mean the meat sticks when it's browning? If so, that's a good thing, you want some sticking to build your fond. Or does it stick later in the process, after you add the other ingredients? Have you tried turning down the heat? You only need a simmer at that point in the process. Are you scrimping on the fat?

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a new pot if you need a bigger one, and admitting I rarely cook in enameled pots, it's just that I'm not aware of any inherent properties that would cause serious problems.

If you do purchase a new pot, are you partial to cast iron or would you want modern stainless? Do you have a budge to work within?

Thank you do much what great advice you have given me already. At shop as we speak. I think I am scrimping on the fat in answer to your question. I never thought of that. I would like to spend no more than 200 Australian and am not partial to enamel. Just the only big pot i have at the moment. Glad you mentioned the fat otherwise I would be doing it again tonight with my new pot!:) first time user. Thanks for the experience

ChefOno is right about the slow simmer for a bolognese sauce. A bolognese is one of the few Italian "sauces" that is allowed to cook for a long time. Earthenware such as the Emile-Henry "Flame" series is very, very good. It can go from the refrigerator to the stove top. And there is something magic about cooking in earthenware.