Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Baking bread. How long can I let it rise for the first time

I am making Marble Rye bread. I would like to start it this morning and finish it later today. I will not be home until late this afternoon. Can I let the first rising go for 8 hours? I have made the 18 hr bread but this is the first time I am trying this recipe. I think it should be fine but hate to waste the flour!

asked by Lucia from Madison almost 5 years ago

You can let it rise in the fridge and it won't rise too high. Leaving it out to rise is probably not a great idea, especially if your house is warm.

If you're going to let it proof for that long, be sure to put it in as cool a place as possible. Otherwise, you run the risk of over-proofing it, which compromises its protein structure. Also, be sure to start it with cool water.

1e78f34c 0999 4079 bd2c c519a9101b4a  stringio

Letting it rise in the fridge will be the best thing to do to it. This technique is call "retarding" which means that you are slowing down the process, because the structure of the bread breeds much better in a warm climate. This will not alter your bread, it will just slow down the finishing process because you will have to wait for the dough to come back to room temperature before shaping or baking tonight.

35e442f7 20c2 4bbc 8b8a 78283ae7e451  img 0924

Let it rise in the fridge for sure but remember to give yourself sufficient time to take out the dough and bring it to room temperature or at least give it a bit of a rest outside the fridge before proceeding.