🔕 🔔

Is buttermilk an OK substitute for sour milk in a recipe? I need a cup of the former and I'd hate to sour some perfectly good milk when there is a carton of buttermilk sitting idle right beside it.

asked by cheese1227 about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I was in the same situation when I last made Kelsey's chocolate cake, which calls for sour milk. I used the buttermilk, and the cake came out just fine.

E7de47cd 9d33 416b 84d2 56b51801a7d6  christine 28 small 1

Too funny. That is the same recipe I made. I ran with it yesterday, but was wondering if it was just fine for that recipe or if it's a fine substitution in general.

Here's a link that explains when you can and can't substitute:
http://community.cookinglight...

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

To make sour milk, add a tbsp or two to the milk in the recipe and stir. Let sit for a few minutes.