Substitute for Buttermilk

I am going to make the cheese biscuit recipe and don't have buttermilk, would like to avoid a trip the store if possible, I understand you can add vinegar or lemon juice to milk but can you use yogurt or sour cream and get the same effect as buttermilk?

hardlikearmour April 28, 2011

According to the Cook's Thesaurus you can use yogurt or sour cream as a substitute for buttermilk. I'm sure it will affect the texture to some degree. http://www.foodsubs.com...

truegrits
truegrits April 28, 2011

if youre making biscuits i would definitely go the splash of vinegar in milk route. You really need a liquidy liquid to get them to set up correctly. The yogurt or sour cream is typically substituted for flavor purposes, but as was said above, the texture would definitely change.

sdebrango April 28, 2011

Thank you, that was really helpful. I hope my biscuits turn out well, have friends coming over for royal wedding and i am making breakfast they look yummy!

usingSpoons
usingSpoons April 28, 2011

I regularly use half plain yoghurt with half milk as a substitute for buttermilk. Works for muffins, biscuits (I'd call them scones) and other things. The important thing is to get something of a similar consistency, and with enough acidity to counteract any baking soda/bicarbonate of soda in the recipe.

sdebrango April 28, 2011

Thank you, the recipe that was posted calls for baking powder and no baking soda. Thanks to everyone for the help.