🔕 🔔

Substitute for Buttermilk

I am going to make the cheese biscuit recipe and don't have buttermilk, would like to avoid a trip the store if possible, I understand you can add vinegar or lemon juice to milk but can you use yogurt or sour cream and get the same effect as buttermilk?

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

According to the Cook's Thesaurus you can use yogurt or sour cream as a substitute for buttermilk. I'm sure it will affect the texture to some degree. http://www.foodsubs.com...

if youre making biscuits i would definitely go the splash of vinegar in milk route. You really need a liquidy liquid to get them to set up correctly. The yogurt or sour cream is typically substituted for flavor purposes, but as was said above, the texture would definitely change.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Thank you, that was really helpful. I hope my biscuits turn out well, have friends coming over for royal wedding and i am making breakfast they look yummy!

767d528e d828 43e0 a3a5 1748a16a305b  louise avatar

I regularly use half plain yoghurt with half milk as a substitute for buttermilk. Works for muffins, biscuits (I'd call them scones) and other things. The important thing is to get something of a similar consistency, and with enough acidity to counteract any baking soda/bicarbonate of soda in the recipe.

Thank you, the recipe that was posted calls for baking powder and no baking soda. Thanks to everyone for the help.