🔕 🔔

What's a fabulous entree to serve after spinach gnocchi?

The entree needs to be vegetarian, too. The spinach gnocchi will have a heavy cream sauce, so maybe something lighter or just in a different direction...Thanks

asked by jamieyuenger almost 6 years ago

F7ea5aff 4c02 43dd 835f 164969b072a8  yo face

Would you consider some sort of souffle? Possibly a cheese souffle? It can be put in the oven right before you eat your first course and ready in 15-20 min. Impressive and simple to make.

Well, I guess I don't want to add more cheese to the night. The gnocchi is being served with a heavy cream sauce. Maybe a different kind of soufflé though? Thanks!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Much as I love souffles, I think I'd stay away from eggs and dairy after a rich gnocchi course. Maybe an artichoke stew or something with grilled or roasted vegetables?

I agree with switching the order of the courses and as a starter I'd do an antipasto platter with various grilled or roasted vegetables and some briney olives etc. If you wanted a bit of cheese on that I'd stick with something not-creamy like feta. Alternatively I'd make a salad with a vinaigrette dressing - perhaps arugula and roasted beets with a few parmesan shavings on top.

I guess it makes sense to think in terms of antipasto - primo instead of primo - secondo for an Italian vegetarian meal, as Italian secondos are generally meat. But if you go that way, I'd maybe do an antipasto like the grilled/roasted vegetables first and the green salad after the gnocchi.

I agree with others about flipping the order but then I also see only wanting to have a bit of the gnocchi. I love gnocchi, but I don't want it as an entree. What about eggplant parm (or some kind of tomato and eggplant dish)? Here are a few random ideas to accompany, though they're also pretty heavy -- arancini (fried risotto balls) or just risotto, a stuffed winter squash or sweet potato ravioli (also yummy with an egg yolk inside), lasagna or lasagna rolls (where you take the lasagna noodle and roll the filling inside; it's less heavy) or a butternut squash lasagna...?

I would go with something acidic to cut through the heaviness of the gnocchi.
perhaps a grilled portobello with balsamic reduction...or the Northern Spy's Kale Salad featured today...
or even a simple ratatouille could be amazing.

I love the antipasto platter idea! I think I'll go with that as the starter, and then maybe have fried artichokes as the side dish with the gnocchi. Much gratitude, everyone!